Is KLIA Really A World-Class Airport?

Ana Ghoib Syeikh Malaya 8:33 PG
THIS year is a special year for the country. It is Visit Malaysia Year 2014, which means it’s time for us to present the best of ourselves to the world’s tourists.

But before any tourist set foot on our soil, Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) will be the first point of introduction for tourists to arrive upon visiting Malaysia.

Since its inauguration in 1998 and despite winning international accolades such as the Skytrax World Airport Awards and International Airport Association, KLIA is still far from being the best in overall airport services and management when compared to the international airports of the world.

A passenger we met, known only as Rashdan (not his real name) related to Malaysian Digest of his rather unpleasant experience concerning the airport’s service and management.

“Upon arriving back to Kuala Lumpur with my family from Singapore, I was surprised to see how poor the management of the airport is, especially the limousine service.

“As I was about to collect my luggage, I was momentarily at a lost. There weren’t clear markings as to which luggage belt was from my flight. I had to wait for almost 10 minutes before the display tells us which belt to go to,” he said.

 

changi airport

 

Comparing with Singapore’s Changi Airport, Rashdan said things were more organised, rapid and informative, almost from the minute plane landed, because the system will let passenger know which gate and which belt to go to collect luggage.

To add to his frustration, he was stunned to see a long queue of people queuing up with only one taxi service counter opened. After half an hour of waiting, it was only then he was told that the minimum waiting for a taxi is 15 minutes.

In the end there were not enough taxis and Rashdan and his family have to wait for a long time before they could leave the airport.

“I think it is a high time for Malaysia to improve a lot more on our service and management. As a Malaysian, I found it quite because this is supposed to be our Visit Malaysia Year,” he said with a hint of frustration.

Seeking services

Many other passengers we spoke to also spoke of negative comments about the airport, so we decided to find out the efficiency of the airport’s services.

I decided to pose as a tourist. My ‘undercover’ cover story was that I am a first time tourist from a South East Asian country.

Upon arriving at the Arrivals floor, I wasn’t sure where the information counter was because the signage wasn’t placed strategically. It wasn’t visible enough for people to see.

I took a stroll, looking lost.

As I arrived at the information counter, I enquired about where I can book a taxi to go into the city. I was told that I need to go back inside the Immigration and Customs area to book a taxi.

The queue at the taxi counter

So I continued to wander (and after some goose necking and peeking around the impossibly large building) I finally found the airport taxi counter. And it is full with people waiting in line.

Being a traveler spent and frustrated with the idea of having to queue, I went to the counter to ask whether there is any other taxi counter that is available. But according to the person at the counter, there is other alternative ways to get a taxi there.

Okay then. So I went for a little sightseeing around the shops in KLIA. Unlike Singapore’s Changi, I find the layout of the shops a little haphazard, not shopper-friendly. But at least every salesperson I met would greet me with a smile and say hi.

I have to admit that I don’t usually get this kind of treatment whenever I go shopping at some other airports; maybe being a ‘tourist’ has extra dose of hospitality.

Since I did not actually get off an airplane, my access to the airport is understandably limited. But it was time to check out the Departure area to further investigate the airport’s facilities and services.

The self-service MH Kiosk (PIC: Faisol Mustafa)The self-service MH Kiosk (PIC: Faisol Mustafa)It was a usual sight seen in most airports; with people and their luggage at the check counters. I have to say that the self check-in kiosks are very well spacious and organised.

Next, it was time to make a traveler’s pit stop.

The restrooms are spacious and well laid out but average in terms of cleanliness.

Interestingly, t here is an interactive feedback kiosk available at the Arrival level’s restroom, where people can give their feedback about the restroom’s quality. Let’s hope that there will be more ‘excellent’ than ‘poor’ feedbacks to ensure high quality cleanliness.

And just like other international airports, it was common to see some passengers sleeping and resting on boarding room seats or sitting with laptops open everywhere.

That said, the industrial theme of the airport means a real concern about the lack of carpets and comfortable seats at the airport.

And what about free wifi? There isn’t any.

Signboards play an important role in a large public areas such as at an airport.

The lack of strategically place and informative signboards can leave people with much confusion and the risk of walking out of the airport with a bad impression of the country.

Plenty of cabs upon arrival (PIC: Faisol Mustafa)Plenty of cabs upon arrival (PIC: Faisol Mustafa)In terms of taxi services, I’m glad that despite the queue that I had to contend with, there is plenty of choice. There are more than one taxi company that you can hire if cost matter to you.

And the availability of a fast train to the city (at an affordable price) is fantastic for any traveler.

 

 

Read more at Malaysian Digest HERE